LITIGATION EXPERIENCE: CIVIL AND CRIMINAL
Mr. Andrade tried thefirst successful farm worker sexual harassment case in California, which resulted in a victory for his client (Romero v. Santa Maria Berry Farms, Santa Barbara Superior Court Case No. SM098249). It was reported in the Wall Street Journal on July 30, 1997.
A class action, Calderon v. County of Imperial, US District Court Case No. 77-0622-M litigated for almost seven years resulted in a 50 page consent decree entered July 13, 1984, changing the entire employment structure of the County of Imperial.
Other substantial employment litigation as primary counsel. For example:
(1) He represented the plaintiff (the first female laborer) in a sex harassment lawsuit against a contractor at the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant in San Luis Obispo County ( Salisbury v. Wismer & Becker, Ninth Circuit).
(2) He represented a police sergeant against the County of Imperial of for discriminatory promotion practices. (Mendoza vs. County of Imperial, U.S., District Court Case No. CV-89-495H, Southern District). That case was tried before a federal jury and resulted in the promotion of his client and an award of damages and attorneys fees.
(3) He represented a police sergeant against the City of Palm Springs for discriminatory promotion practices. (Rodriguez v. City of Palm Springs, et al., Riverside County Superior Court Case No. I-70151.) The plaintiff was promoted from sergeant to lieutenant and received monetary compensation.
(4) He represented two plaintiff management employees for wrongful termination and violation of privacy in the Santa Barbara County Superior Court. (Confidential case, Santa Barbara County Superior Court.)
(5) He represented a plaintiff in a wrongful termination and sex discrimination case against a financial institution which resolved. (Confidential case, Santa Barbara County Superior Court.)
(6) He also represented a plaintiff in an age discrimination action against a local automobile agency which resolved. (Confidential case, Santa Barbara County Superior Court.)
(7) He represented three plaintiffs against a public entity for sex harassment, sex and disability discrimination. It resolved. (Confidential case, San Luis Obispo County Superior Court.)
(8) As co-counsel, he tried McGee vs. Loomis, Santa Barbara County Superior Court, a 30 day jury trial involving a breach of an oral joint venture agreement and fraud. The jury awarded my client Loomis $5.2 million and $750,000.00 in punitive damages; the trial court later reduced the award to $1.8 million. For many years it was the highest verdict in the Santa Maria Branch of the Santa Barbara County Superior Court.
Recent notable cases:
(1) In 1999, Mr. Andrade represented the defendant in People v. Dereck Owens, Santa Barbara County Superior Court Case No. SM105565, charged with capitol felony murder in the robbery of the Vandenberg Federal Credit Union. This case was tried for three days before a jury, which found in favor of his client on the special circumstances allegation.
(2) In November 1999, he represented the defendant in a Tulare County prosecution involving allegations of child molest by a family member. (Confidential case, Tulare County Superior Court.) After a four day trial, the jury returned a verdict of not guilty on all counts.
(3)In April 2000, He was appointed by Judge Rodney S. Melville to represent the defendant in the penalty phase. People v. Julie Jessica Padilla, Santa Barbara County Superior Court Case No. SM109835. She had been charged with first degree murder and special circumstance involving torture in the burning death of the victim. The prosecution sought the death penalty, but in December 2000, they negotiated a lesser plea, a life plea.
Associate of Arts,
- Member of the Bar, State of California, admitted 1976
- Member of
Central District of
- Member of Federal Bar United States District Court,
Southern District of California, admitted 1977
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit,
Staff Attorney and Managing Attorney , California Rural Legal Assistance, El Centro and Santa Maria, California.
Responsible for federal court litigation at trial and appeal level and as amicus before the United States Supreme Court. Represented farmworkers and low-income clients. Responsible for supervision of approximately 17 employees.
Partner , Andrade & Belasco
519 South Broadway
Santa Maria, California
General civil, family law and criminal practice with motions, trials and appeals.
Law Offices of Adrian S. Andrade & Associates
211 E. Fesler Street
Santa Maria, California
General civil and criminal practice with motions, trials and appeals.